Map Reference: C310264 (2310, 4264)
This fort stands at the edge of the cliff on the NW tip of Inch Island. At the other side of this narrow neck of Lough Swilly is Rathmullan which also has a fort. It is roughly triangular in shape with gun platforms projecting at NE and SW. The entrance is on the SE side. The fort was built in 1813 and extensively modified about 60 years later. During the Civil War it was occupied by Anti-treaty Forces but eventually captured by the Free Army in July 1922.
Return to County Donegal List
Return to Gazetteer