Killybegs Coastguard Row

This is a six-bay two-storey building with a three-storey look-out tower at the west end. It was built in 1866 by Enoch Trevor Owen of the Board of Works in Dublin. He designed about 60 coastguard rows in Ireland at this time. The first was in Dun Laoghaire in 1859. The officer's house with its look-out tower and machicolated oriel windows are features of many of Owen's designs. Some of the oriels had pistol loops. These defensive features seem to be a consequence of the rise of the Fenian movement in the 1860s.

Return to County Donegal List
Return to Gazetteer