The Bishop's Palace, Raphoe
Map Reference: C259028 (2259, 4028)
Raphoe Castle, or the Bishop's Palace, was built in 1636 by John Leslie, Bishop of Raphoe. It is a square four-storey block with salient-angled towers at the corners. It is prominently sited and protected on the N, W and S sides by steep slopes.
There are gun-loops at the lower storey. The castle was extensively restored in the 1820s but destroyed by fire in 1838.
Return to County Donegal List
Return to Gazetteer