Ballydugan Flour Mill
Map Reference: J462427 (3462, 3427)
Ballydugan Flour Mill was built in 1792 by John Auchinleck of Strangford. It is six storeys high with two attics. It was fitted with a breastshot wheel 6m diameter and 3m wide. There was also an auxiliary windmill. It was found that water from the Ballydugan Lake was only sufficient for eight months of the year and so a 25h.p. steam engine was later fitted. The mill contained four pairs of stones, two of them French burrs. The mill has been recently refurbished and is now an hotel and restaurant.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer