Ballynahinch Market House
Ballynahinch Market House was built by Lord Moira in 1795. It is a two-storey four-bay structure. For many years the true nature of this building was hidden behind plaster and dilapidation. Recent renovation has revealed a fine arcade. The parapet with its central pediment and clock has been restored to former glory as has the octagonal cupola. In the early 19th century the building was described as being dilapidated and it is known to have suffered some damage during the Battle of Ballynahinch in 1798.
View of the market house before the recent restoration
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer