Ballyward Gate Lodge



Map Reference:



Ballyward Lodge was built in 1811 by William Beers. It is a Classical villa in contrast to its gate lodge which was built about 1825 by Francis Charles Beers. This three-bay single-storey building has a projecting hallway . The doorway has a semicircular fanlight and is flanked by small lancets with lattice panes. There are two larger flanking windows also with lattice panes and Y-tracery in the pointed arches..





For details of more gate lodges in County Down see 'The Gate Lodges of Ulster: A Gazetteer by J A K Dean; Ulster Architectural Heritage Society 1994; ISBN 0-900457-46-5'

For more details of Ballyward Lodge see 'A Guide to the Country Houses of Ireland by Mark Bence-Jones; Constable 1988; ISBN 0 09 468750 1'


Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer