Bangor Customs House
Map Reference: J505822 (3505, 3822)
Bangor Customs House was built in 1637 by Lord Clandeboye. It is a rectangular building of two storeys with an attic, and a tower of four storeys, at the NW angle. Between the tower and the main building is a quarter-round projection starting at the first floor. It is carried on three courses of quarter-round corbels.
This projection may have contained a timber stair which gave access to the upper floors. The building has undergone considerable reconstruction in modern times and, although the shell remains largely unchanged, much of the fenestration is not original.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer