Castlewellan Market House





Castlewellan Market House may have been built by William Annesley in 1764 as a two-storey four bay structure. Subsequently it was extended and a church-like tower and spire added. The Ordnance Survey of the 1830s indicates that the upper room of the market house was used for religious purposes and the building seems to have retained its spire until the parish church was built in 1853. It is now the library.



Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer