Map Reference: J572400 (3572, 3400)
St Mary's Church, Chapeltown, dates from the end of the 18th century. Above the south doorway is a small cross-inscribed stone which was removed from nearby Ardtole Church in 1791. The letters J and M flank the head of the cross.
Just outside the doorway are two bullaun stones, one of which has three bullauns. In the east gable is a carved Madonna and Child which was collected from the old church at Dunsfort. The original body is fairly complete and modern heads have been added. It probably dates from the 14th century and is carved from fine yellow sandstone.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer