The New Jail, Downpatrick
Map Reference: J485447 (3485, 3447)
The New Jail at Downpatrick was built between 1824 and 1830. It was a typical 19th century prison built within a polygonal bawn. It had a round central tower from which radiated four cell-blocks, like the spokes of a wheel. There were two other rectangular blocks which stood parallel to the entrance. All the internal buildings of the jail have now been demolished. The gatehouse is the only remaining structure, apart from the lower courses of the curtain wall. This gatehouse is a two-storey three-bay building built by John Lynn. The central bay contains a wide carriageway. Although smaller than its contemporaries at Nenagh and Carlow it is nevertheless impressive.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer