Map Reference: J202532 (3202, 3532)
This little tower may have been built by William Worsley, brother-in-law of John Todd, Bishop of Dromore, about 1610. It is a square tower with a square projection on the east side. Both sections are three storeys high. Most of the NE corner has been destroyed.
The entrance may have been have been in the south within the angle between the projection and the main tower. There were two small slit windows in the east wall at the ground floor but these are now blocked. The upper levels seem to have been well-provided with similar windows, some of which are still visible.
There was a larger window in the middle of the south wall at second floor level. The castle is built of random rubble, mostly split slabs with a few rounded boulders. There are no visible window dressings or quoins. The interior is gutted and the castle is closely surrounded by modern buildings which obscure much of the detail.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer