Magheralin Old Church
Map Reference: J128589 (3128, 3589)
This old church was ruinous by 1657 but was rebuilt shortly after the Restoration. There are no traces of an Early Medieval structure. It was used as a pro-Cathedral for the diocese of Dromore during the 18th century and continued to be used as a parish church until 1845. The main body of the church seems to date from the early 15th century but the tower is probably later. The north transept was added in the early 17th century and the transept arcade was added later in that century. The large east window had two lights but the full-height central mullion is now missing. There is some evidence of tracery.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer