Map Reference: J524639 (3524, 3639)
This tower house is also known as Mahee Castle and stands near the end of the causeway leading to Mahee Island. It was built in 1570 by Captain Browne. It measures about 12m by 7m externally and the walls are about 1.5 to 2m thick.
The doorway is in the NW wall. It is about 1m wide and defended by a murder hole. There is a vault above the ground floor.
The castle was apparently originally three storeys high but now stands to only about 7.5m high. There are possible remains of a bawn.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer