Old Castle Ward
Map Reference: J574499 (3574, 3499)
This tower-house was built in the late 16th or early 17th century and now forms part of the farmyard associated with Castle Ward House. It was probably built by Nicholas Ward who succeeded his father Bernard in 1584 and was Surveyor of Ordnance 1599-1602. The building is three storeys high plus attic and measures 8.6m by 7.8m externally. The entrance is in the SE wall near the E corner. It is protected by a machicolation at roof level and a murder-hole leading from the first floor. The tower is vaulted above the ground floor with the vault running SW-NE. The upper levels are reached by mural stairways. There are good crenellations.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer