Map Reference: J501645 (3501, 3645)
This church may date from the 15th or 16th century. It replaced Nendrum as the parish church possibly about 1450. It is a gabled rectangular structure measuring 12m by 5.8m internally with walls up to 90cm thick. It originally had a west doorway with internal splay but this is now blocked. In 1639 a south doorway was inserted. Ouside the west gable is a very fine example of a grave-cage. This railed structure, now minus its gate, totally enclosed the grave. This was intended to protect the remains from body-snatchers in the early 19th century.
Return to County Down List
Return to Gazetteer