Balcarrick Martello Tower
Map Reference: O253492 (3253, 2492)
Location: At the water's edge about 2km ESE of Donabate
This structure, in common with most of the martello towers of Ireland, was built about 1805 in response to the threat of Napoleonic invasion. It is a circular tower built of coarse rubble stone, tapering slightly as it rises. The roof has a stone parapet and a raised circular extension. The doorway is at first floor level. It is protected by a large machicolation supported by stone corbels. There are several small square window openings. The walls have been rendered but most of the rendering has now fallen off.
Return to County Dublin List
Return to Gazetteer