The Guinness Windmill, Dublin
Map Reference: O143340 (3143, 2340)
This windmill was once used to power the Roe Distillery on Thomas Street in Dublin. George Roe & Co. began in 1757 after the purchase of a small distillery in Thomas Street. The windmill may date from that time although a stone over the door is marked 1805. The tower is more than 40m high and has 11 storeys. It is brick-built and capped by an ogee (or onion) dome. At the time of its construction it was considered to be the tallest smock windmill in Europe. The company had ceased whiskey production by 1926 and was dissolved in the mid 1940s. Guinness took over the site in 1949. The windmill is now known as St Patrick’s Tower.
Return to County Dublin List
Return to Gazetteer