Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin
Map Reference: O127337 (3127, 2337)
Kilmainham Gaol was built in 1787. It replaced the Old Kilmainham Gaol, which may have been built in the 13th century. The new gaol had 52 cells and after the 1798 Rebellion it was full of political prisoners. After Robert Emmet's insurrection in 1803 over 200 prisoners were held in Kilmainham. In 1863 a large three-storey wing was added. It was designed by John McCurdy. In the new section the door of every cell could be seen at a single glance. In 1914 the prison was turned into a military barracks to accommodate extra troops recruited for the First World War. In 1916 it became a prison once more and the leaders of the Easter Rising were executed by firing squad in the stone-breaking yard. The prison closed in 1924 and quickly became derelict. Restoration began in 1960.
Return to County Dublin List
Return to Gazetteer