Map Reference: O213301 (3213, 2301)
Location: About 4km NE of Swords and 1km W of Donabate. Signposted
The house and demesne are owned by Fingal County Council and the grounds are now a public park, with camping and picnic facilities, and a children’s play area. The house has a six-bay entrance front with a basement and dormered attic. It may have been designed by Richard Castle. There is a pedimented tripartite doorcase, which is approached by a flight of granite steps. There is a solid roof parapet with urns and eagles at the corners. It was built in 1737 for Dr Charles Cobbe, who became Archbishop of Dublin. An extensive wing was added at the rear in 1767.
At the rear of the house is a very fine cobbled stableyard with a working water pump and horse trough. There is a good collection here of old farm machinery including varieties of seed drills. There are two fire engines. One of them is a hand pump. The other is a petrol driven pump made by Konrad Rosenbaur of Linz, Austria. Both machines are horse-drawn.
The following images were taken in 1989
Return to County Dublin List
Return to Gazetteer