Map Reference: H231442 (2231, 3442)
The first castle was built on this site by Hugh Maguire in the 15th century. It consists of two sections, a central keep and a curtain wall. It provided the main defence for the west end of the town and guarded the Sligo road. The lower parts of the keep may date from the earliest period. It has been substantially rebuilt and now consists of three storeys on a strong slanting batter.
The curtain wall is about 6m high at the east and there are two ranges of Georgian barracks at the north and west. It featured greatly in the wars of Irish resistance to English rule in the 16th century and was taken after an eight day seige in 1594. In 1607 it was remodelled and refurbished by Captain William Cole. The riverside tower at the south, known as the Watergate, was added at this time. Its function is uncertain, but it may have been a drawbridge or a flanking tower. This features two round corner turrets carried on Scottish corbels.
In the 18th century the castle was remodelled as the Castle Barracks and now houses the Regimental Museum of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Return to County Fermanagh List
Return to Gazetteer