Map Reference: H126566 (2126, 3566)
This fortified house and rectangular bawn were built for Sir John Hume, a Scottish planter, shortly after 1610. It was captured, burned and abandoned in 1641. The bawn had four rectangular corner towers but only those to the east survive to any height.
The house is a T-shaped building positioned against the N wall of the bawn. The entrance tower projects southwards from the middle of the main building. It housed a wooden stairway to the first floor accomodation area and there are traces of a stone mural stairway beyond that.
The main building was vaulted above the ground floor. Here there was a kitchen with a large fireplace. The upper N angles of the main building were carried up as projecting circular towers carried on Scottish corbels.
Return to County Fermanagh List
Return to Gazetteer