Map Reference: M287379 (1287, 2379)
At Annaghdown the Abbey of St Mary de Portu Patrum may have been founded by Turlogh O Conor. This has a long church with a pointed north doorway, an early round-headed north window in the chancel and a larger south window.
This has a round hood-mould with beastly heads as stops.
To the south is the ruin of a long two-storey building and to the west of this is an open area which marks the site of the cloister.
There are fragments of buildings to the south of the cloister garth and within this is a collection of Romanesque fragments.
This includes two pillars with diamond patterns and carved capitals which feature human heads with intertwined hair and beards.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer