Map Reference: M505280 (1505, 2280)
In 1235 Richard de Burgo granted a charter to Meiler de Bermingham who completed the building of Athenry Castle about 1250. It is a three-storey tower surrounded by a strong wall.
The basement has a vault carried on three pillars. The doorway is at first floor level and is reached now by a modern stairway. It has capitals decorated in the Irish Romanesque fashion.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer