Athenry Market Cross
Map Reference: M503280 (1503, 2280)
This cross may originally have been similar in appearance to some of the early 17th century wayside crosses of Co Meath (Lunderstown, Carrickdexter etc). However the style of sculpture suggests that it may date from the late 15th century. It stands on a stepped pyramidal base and only a fraction of the original cross remains. The carving is in high relief and depicts a Crucifixion on one side and possibly a Madonna & Child on the other side. Both carvings are surmounted by ornate arcading. There is little known about the early market in Athenry but in 1629 permission was granted to Sir William Parsons to hold a regular market and a fair in October.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer