Athenry Town Gate
Map Reference: M503280 (1503, 2280)
The North Gate is the only remaining of the five town gates of Athenry. The town received a murage grant in 1310, which allowed for the collection of taxes to pay for the construction of a town wall. This wall still retains five of its six original towers as well as much of the curtain wall.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer