Clontuskert Friary


Map Reference: M857258 (1857, 2258)

Clontuskert Friary was founded for the Augustinians in the 12th century.



The church was burned in 1413 and most of the present building dates from the later 15th century reconstruction. The church has a very fine west doorway which is richly decorated with figures of saints and many other motifs including a mermaid, a star and a pelican feeding her young.







Inside the church is divided by a three-bay vaulted rood screen.





After the Dissolution the monastery was passed to the de Burgos.











For more photos of Clontuskert Friary click HERE

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer