Map Reference: M396168 (1396, 2168)
Drumacoo Church is dedicated to the nun, St Surney. The original small church had a flatheaded west doorway and was built of large stones. In the 13th century it was extended to the east and the two east windows and the finely carved south doorway was created.
The north wing was added in the 1830s. In 1232 the death was reported of Abbot Fachtna O'Halgaith who kept a house of hospitality for the learned, and for the relief of the sick and poor.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer