Map Reference: M578398 (1578, 2398)
Only about half of this castle remains. The destruction has been attributed to Cromwell it is recorded that in 1504 the Burkes destroyed the O’Kelly castles in Monivea, Gallagh and Garbally. The NE wall of the three-storey tower survives to roof level where there are remains of a machicolation. Substantial sections of the attached NW and SE walls are also present. The original pointed doorway is visible near the east end of the SE wall. The castle was vaulted above the first floor and remains of mural passages and chambers are visible.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer