Arkin's Castle, Inismor, Aran
Map Reference: L887073 (0887, 2073)
This monument stands on the site of what was probably an O’Brien castle. It was in the possession of James Lynch in 1574 and was granted to John Rawson in 1594. In 1607 Teige na Buille O’Flaherty of Arde was the resident. The castle was demolished in the 1650s to make way for a Cromwellian fort. None of the original building has survived. A plan of the fort published near the end of the 18th century shows a rectangular structure with two square towers on the seaward side and two circular towers to landward. The remains today consist of a substantial portion of the north wall with a small tower at the SE corner. This has a good bartizan. There are also remains of the water-gate to the north.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer