Map Reference: M240470 (1240, 2470)
This rectangular church, in Ower townland, is also known as Kildaree Church. This is supposedly the site of a 7thC monastery founded by St Fursey, who was a disciple of St Brendan of Clonfert. The west end of the building may date from early Christian times. It features a trabeate west doorway. The rest of the building may date from late medieval times. It has a pointed south doorway. To the west of this are two small windows. One of them is a simple slit, the other has an ogee head. To the east of the doorway are two twin-light windows. One of them has round heads, the other has ogee heads. The pointed and traceried east window is slightly off-centre. Some traces of the original east window remain. There is a good aumbry in the south wall. It may have functioned as a credence table and also contains a single shallow piscina.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer