Map Reference: M758083 (1758, 2083)
Pallas Castle is a fine five-storey tower-house built by the Burkes around 1500. It has a complete bawn with a two-storey gatehouse. There are round turrets at two of the corners of the bawn. The entrance to the tower is in the north wall. It is flanked by a guard-chamber on the right and a spiral stairway on the left. The castle is vaulted above the second floor. There is a secret chamber entered from the top floor. There are several good fireplaces including one with a carved head at the first floor.
One of the fireplaces
One of the corner turrets of the bawn
A doorway leading to the spiral stairway
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer