Temple Jarlath, Tuam
Map Reference: M435519 (1435, 25129)
This is the remnant of a 13th-century parish church. Only the east gable with fragments of the attached walls survive. There is a very fine triple lancet window. The arch of the central window has hounds tooth decoration and all of the windows had double pilasters and decorated capitals. These are fragmentary and very weathered. Several Romanesque heads have been mounted in the surrounding masonry. At the west end of the church are the surviving two storeys of a tower which was vaulted over the ground floor.
Return to County Galway List
Return to Gazetteer