Map Reference: Q388054 (0388, 1054)
Gallarus Castle was probably built by the Fitzgaralds in the 15th century. It is a four-storey rectangular tower which is vaulted above the third floor. The building has been extensively restored and a new rectangular doorway inserted in the north wall. There is no evidence of a stone stairway below the second floor. A mural stairway rises in the east wall to the NE angle.
Return to County Kerry List
Return to Gazetteer