Killagha Augustinian Abbey
Map Reference: Q816012 (0816, 1012)
The abbey was erected on
the site of an older monastery of St Colman some time after 1216 by Geoffrey de Marisco or
the Canons Regular of St Augustine and dedicated to Our Blessed Lady It was suppressed in
1556 and the domestic buildings to the south were destroyed by Cromwell's soldiers.
All that remains is a
rectangular church. It has a very fine traceried east window of five lights. In the south
wall is a double piscina with square basins and ogee heads. Within the niche is a
rectangular credence table. There are a number of two-light windows in the north and south
walls with square hoods outside.
There are some traces of
buildings to the south viz. a fragment of wall and part of a spiral stairway within the
south wall of the church. There is a plain tomb niche in the north wall at the west end.
Beside it is a holy water stoup.
County Kerry List