Castledermott Franciscan Friary

Map Reference: S782848 (2782, 1848)

Near the south end of the town the ruins of the Franciscan friary consist of a rectangular church with a north transept. It was founded in 1302 by Thomas, Lord of Ossory and plundered by Bruce in 1317. The original church was rectangular with a doorway and a pair of lancet windows in the west wall.

There is a residential tower attached to the south wall and a north aisle arcade. The north transept was added later, possibly by Thomas, 2nd Earl of Kildare, in 1328. The transept has some east chapels.

Within one of these is a tomb-chest with, on the lid, a double skeletal image, one within a shroud. There is also a good bullaun stone.

For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links

Bonamargy, Co Antrim Armagh, Co Armagh Ennis, Co Clare Quin, Co Clare Buttevant, Co Cork Timoleague, Co Cork Claregalway, Co Galway Kilconnell, Co Galway Meelick, Co Galway Rosserrily, Co Galway Ardfert, Co Kerry Lislaughtin, Co Kerry Muckross, Co Kerry Creevelea, Co Leitrim Adare, Co Limerick Askeaton, Co Limerick Dundalk, Co Louth Moyne, Co Mayo Rosserk, Co Mayo Nenagh, Co Tipperary Roscrea, Co Tipperary

Return to County Kildare List
Return to Gazetteer