Map Reference: N984212 (2984, 2212)
In the middle of the 13th century Maurice FitzGerald, 2nd Baron of Offaly, founded a Preceptory of Knights Hospitallers at Kilteel. In 1335 Robert Clifford was ordered to repair the castle. The present building is a 15th century tower and gatehouse of five storeys. There are barrel vaults above the ground floor and top floor. To the left of the doorway a spiral stairway, housed within a projecting round tower, rises to roof level.
The castle was suppressed in 1541 and granted to Sir John Alen. Nearby are some sections of the preceptory wall and another, less elaborate, gateway.
Return to County Kildare List
Return to Gazetteer