Map Reference: S322636 (2322, 1636)
This round castle was built in the 16th century by the Shortall Family. It later belonged to the St George Family. The tower-house is three storeys high. All the openings at the ground floor have been blocked with the exception of the main entrance.
To the left of the entrance a curving mural stairway rises to the first floor which is now missing. The stairway then reverses direction to rise to the second floor which is above the vault. The stairway then becomes a spiral and rises to the roof walk.
There is a good cross-shaped defensive loop with a slopstone beneath it. At the second floor there are some interesting windows and a large fireplace.
In the corner of the room is a rectangular opening which was designed to be hidden by a flagstone. This may be the entrance to a secret room within the thickness of the vault.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer