Map Reference: S448708 (2448, 1708)
Ballyragget takes its name from the Anglo-Norman le Raggeds, who had lands here in the 13th century. In the late 16th century it was the chief seat of the Butlers. A branch of the Mountgarret Butlers lived here until 1788.
The castle consists of a large tower-house complete with crenellations and surrounded by a substantial bawn. There are at least three round flanking towers. There is a machicolation in the middle of the south wall and the south-west corner tower has been turned into a shrine to the Blessed Virgin. The flanker at the SE corner has a squinch containing a latrine chute. There is a very fine arched entrance in the west wall (now blocked) which was protected by a machicolation.
Entrance to the bawn is not permitted but it is possible to see that the tower-house stands to full height. It is roofed and has crenellations. The doorway in the east wall is protected by a machicolation. The building seems to be about five storeys high.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer