St Mary's Church, Callan
Map Reference: S414436 (2414, 1436)
The first parish church was built by Hugh de Mapilton about 1250. It was demolished about 1460 to make way for the present structure. Only the west tower from the original church remains.
The church consists of a nave and chancel with a north and south aisle. The chancel and choir are roofed but are not now accessible. Inside the choir is a good square font and there is a fine east window. The broad aisles have arcades with four arches.
There are some good tomb-chests in the church but no effigies. One of these tombs depicts a very faint skeleton and another has some good examples of vaulting and window tracery.
There are good N and S doorways with decorated hoods and label stops. Both doorways have carvings of angels.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer