Map Reference: S411434 (2411, 1434)
The Union Workhouse at Callan was built about 1840 to designs by George Wilkinson. Only sections of what would have been a large workhouse complex still remain. The main remnant is the five-bay two-storey Tudor Revival governor's block which has single-bay two-storey gabled advanced end bays. It is built of course squared limestone with cut-limestone window surrounds and sills. There is a good hood mould over the central ground floor doorway. Part of one of the workhouse ranges survives behind the Governor's House. Part of the boundary wall including a segmental-headed carriageway also survives.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer