Duiske Cistercian Abbey, Graiguenamanagh


Map Reference: S709437 (2709, 1437)

Graiguenamanagh Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1204 by William Marshall, Earl of Leinster. It is a daughter house of Stanley, Wiltshire, and received its charter in 1207. It was dissolved in 1536 and two years later the property passed to the earl of Ormond. The last abbot was Charles Kavanagh. In 1813 the ruins of the chancel, transepts and parts of the nave were re-roofed and restored.



In 1886 the west end of the church was restored and partly rebuilt. During these restorations the original floor level was raised by about 2m. During the 1970s further restorations were undertaken and the building is now the local parish church. Although it was not possible to reinstate the original floor level several sections may be viewed. These have some fine medieval tiles.



In the Baptistery off the south aisle is a very fine doorway of early 13th century date. In the graveyard to the south of the church are two small granite High Crosses.



One cross, originally from Ballyogan, shows King David, the Sacrifice of Isaac, the Fall of Man and the Crucifixion on the east side, and the Annunciation and Visitation on the west. The other cross, from Aghailta, has a Crucifixion and interlacings.



A short distance south of the church, near the bridge, is a small five-bay two-storey market house. On the other side of the bridge, near the navigation lock, is the ruin of a small tower-house.

For more examples of Cistercian Abbeys click the following links

Corcomroe, Co Clare Grey Abbey, Co Down Inch Abbey, Co Down Abbeyknockmoy, Co Galway Jerpoint, Co Kilkenny Monasteranenagh, Co Limerick Abbeylara, Co Longford Abbeyshrule, Co Longford Mellifont, Co Louth Bective, Co Meath Boyle, Co Roscommon Holy Cross, Co Tipperary Hore Abbey, Co Tipperary Kilcooly, Co Tipperary Dunbrody, Co Wexford Tintern, Co Wexford Baltinglass, Co Wicklow



Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer