Map Reference: S575144 (2575, 1144)
This castle is built on the bank of the River Suir and the earliest portion may date from the 13th century. There are three round flanking towers with joining walls which may be the fortifications of the original castle.
The square tower within the wall may date from the 14th century but there are 15th century additions. The fine oriel window high up on the S wall is 17th century.
There are many narrow defensive loops and some mullioned windows. To the west of the tower was a two-storey hall. One of the upper windows of this is finely decorated, both inside and outside. The sculptures include St Michael the Archangel weighing souls on the Day of Judgement.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer