Kells Augustinian Priory


Map Reference: S499433 (2499, 1433)

This is a fine example of a fortified Augustinian priory. It was founded by Geoffrey de Marisco in 1193 when he brought over four Augustinian Canons from Bodmin in Cornwall.



Most of the existing buildings date from the 14th and 15th century. It is divided into two wards, the upper ward having four towers with connecting walls. The walls are well provided with defensive loops and there is a fine gateway with a machicolation.



The corner towers have machicolations over the doorways and the tower at the E has two fireplaces and a mural stairway. A fifth tower guards the bridge over the moat which runs along the wall dividing the wards.



There is another tower in the wall of the lower ward. Within this ward are the remains of a church and other buildings including a residential tower of about four storeys.



The church consists of a nave and chancel with a central tower. There is a west aisle and a chapel on the south side of the tower.



A large Lady Chapel opens off the transept. The priory was suppressed in 1540 and granted to James, Earl of Ormond. Priors continued to be elected almost until Cromwellian times.







For more photos of Kells Augustinian Priory click HERE

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer