Map Reference: S598451 (2598, 1451)
The tower at the east end of this small church may have housed the sacristy in its lower storey and provided residential accommodation in the upper two storeys.
The main item of interest within the church is the larger-than-life effigy of a knight with crossed legs. The date of the sculpture is uncertain but if it is mid-14th century it may be the effigy of Thomas Cantwell who was described as being very old in 1319, and may have been the founder or re-builder of the church.
The effigy was buried for a while in the 19th century but was dug up again. When the church was re-used as a school in the 19th century bad boys were made to kiss the stony lips of 'Long Cantwell' as a punishment.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer