Kilkenny Franciscan Friary
Map Reference: S505563 (2505, 1563)
This friary was founded by Richard the Marshal around 1232. The choir was extended 1321 when the large seven-light east window was built.
There is a good sedilia in the south wall of the chancel. The tower is one of the earliest Franciscan towers in Ireland.
The building is now surrounded by Smithwick’s brewery and is not generally open to the public.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer