Map Reference: S506559 (2506, 1559)
The Tholsel was built in 1761 as the Exchange and Town Hall. At the front of the building at ground floor level facing High Street there is a double five-bay arcade. The Council Chamber above this has three (wider) bays and the rear of the building is presumably given over to various offices. The roof is capped by a three-tier octagonal clock tower which has been recently restored.
The word tholsel come from two Early English words meaning tax hall and this tholsel was used to collect taxes and for local government until the early 20th century. A market was held within the ground floor arcade. In medieval times this area of High Street was an open space in which a market cross was erected in 1335. It was removed in 1771.
Return to County Kilkenny List
Return to Gazetteer