Map Reference: N541032 (2541, 2032)
Morette Castle is a fragmentary rectangular tower house. It was built by the Fitzgeralds about 1580. The remains consist of the complete east wall and the SW corner. The castle was four storeys high.
The east gable is topped by a large chimney stack with four diamond-shaped chimney pots.
There are complete round bartizans at the NE and SW corners.
At the ground floor in the east wall there is a fragmentary fireplace with a large bread oven.
There are no traces of stairways, mural chambers or entrance. The castle it lit throughout by a variety of small loops including some corner loops.
Return to County Laois List
Return to Gazetteer