Parke's Castle, Kilmore
Map Reference: G782352 (1782, 3352)
When Captain Robert Parke acquired the tower-house of O'Rourke od Breifne in 1628 he demolished the old building but retained the gatehouse. He incorporated this into a rectangular three-storey building with mullioned windows and diamond-shaped chimneys.
It forms part of one side of a five-sided bawn with large round turrets at two corners. The entrance is through the ground floor of the original gatehouse.
The castle underwent extensive restoration in the late 20th century. Several of the smaller buildings, including a forge, have been restored.
The foundation of the original tower-house may be seen in the middle of the courtyard.
Just outside the castle, near the SW corner beside the lake, is a sweathouse. This is one of many in the Leitrim area.
Return to County Leitrim List
Return to Gazetteer