Adare Augustinian Friary


Map Reference: R469465 (1469, 1465)

Adare Augustinian Friary is known as the Black Abbey. It was founded in 1316 by John FitzThomas FitzGerald. The buildings were begun soon after and it is now the Church of Ireland parish church.



It has a very compact cloister, which may be a partial 19th century restoration. The arcade is in three groups of three on each side. At the rear is a large 19th century mausoleum built by the Dunraven Family. The friary church is still in use. The nave has a south aisle of three bays. Beside it is a fairly plain tomb niche.



There are three three-light windows in the chancel. One of them is encroached on by the tower. There is a fine five-light east window. There is a piscina with missing basins and a sedilia under the tower. There is another tomb niche in the north wall of the nave and two tomb niches in the north wall of the chancel.



The very narrow square-headed window in the north wall of the chancel is possibly a lepers' squint. After the Suppression in 1539 the property was leased to John Gold and others before being granted with certain other monasteries to Sir Henry Wallop in 1595.

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer