Adare Trinitarian Church
Map Reference: R465462 (1465, 1462)
The church of the Trinitarian monastery was founded in 1230 and dedicated to St James. It is the only known Irish monastery of the Trinitarian Canons of the Order of the Redemption of the Captives. It is now used by the local Catholic Church.
The nave of the original church is now the south aisle of the present church. The present nave was built in the 19th century. The original tower is still in place and it has a very fine vault with four masks at the springing. Two of these are human and two are grotesques.
After the Dissolution it was granted to Sir Henry Wallop.
Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer